This “veteran” has been posing as the recipient of two Purple Hearts, Bronze Star and a veteran of Iraq, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Somalia etc. So far this scum bag has not claimed to have raised the flag at Mount Suribachi but that is about all he has not claimed. He has bilked scores of veteran service organizations out of thousands of dollars with his lies about being destitute while working for the Department of Veterans Affairs the whole time, whom I am told recently fired him from his position with VA at McClellan, CA.
He managed to convince the leader of local (Sacramento) Marine Corps League Detachment that he was a hero and is now moving into a leadership position. I am told the League is investigating him further.
What follows is a research piece forwarded by a member of the Marine Corps League leadership, who wishes to remain anonymous. Drumming him out of the League is insufficient. He needs to be publicly disgraced and held accountable for his “theft” of hard-earned funds from the League, VFW and the American Legion. The Legion, without investigating Mr. Cullifer and relying only on his word, published a nationwide article about him in their magazine.
Notes on Jonathan Cullifer
The first item discovered in the search was a video posting from the American Legion’s website, titled “Returning the favor.”
In which Mr. Cullifer, states as a Marine he deployed for Desert Storm in 1991. Link:
According to records from the U.S. Army provided by the National Personnel Records and confirmed by Master Sgt Vanessa Hayes, the Records Custodian of the California National Guard HQ’s, that there is no record of any Purple Hearts or Bronze Stars awarded to the subject.
In the above article it is also stated that he has received monetary gain through numerous donations by Veteran organizations and other private sources.
Below is a copy of an email from the Director of the Presidential Service Association who has made considerable notes. This email includes a copy of the interview with News 10 from Sacramento where Mr. Cullifer states, “My hands are registered in 48 states..” that’s not possible. He also states that he served in Bosnia, Kosovo and Somalia, again, impossible. He entered the Marine Corps on August 17, 1992, those events listed above and the events occurred on:
Somalia-12/9/1992, 2/9 landed in Mogadishu, at this time, Mr. Cullifer was at Camp Pendleton going through 0341 Mortarman’s course at the School of Infantry.
Kosovo- 6/1999, 26th MEU, at this time, according to His NAVMC form Chronological Record, it shows he was at Quantico as a 5711 NBC Marine.
Bosnia-6/2/1995, Marines from the 26th MEU rescue AF pilot Scott O’Grady, and Marine Air assets assist in air operations over Bosnia. At this time, Mr. Cullifer was at MCB 29 Palms, CA with the 7th Marine Regiment.
So, according to his official Marine Corps record there is no evidence of his participating in ANY of the above mentioned operations. His Combat History-Expeditions and Awards page, is blank in the Combat History and Expeditions.
| Rancho Cordova Article ;http://www.cityofranchocordova.org/index.aspx?recordid=1146&page=19 |
This video is unavailable.
At the 2013 Spring Conference held in Sacramento, CA, he stated to one member of the MCL that he was with 1st Force Recon from 1994 to 1997, The same time period he was assigned to Marine Barracks, Washington D.C. (2/25/94) and to the 7th Marine Regiment at MCB 29 Palms (3/28/95 to 05/01/95 as and Admin Clerk)
Also at the Spring conference he told a member of the MCL that he was a Scout/Sniper, again, no record proving this.
Now, to his army claims:
He’s claimed that he’s served in Afghanistan and Iraq, according to the NPR information sent and the confirmation from CANG, Mr. Cullifer has only deployed to Iraq with C/184, CANG in Auburn, CA and has received no other awards that other members of the unit were awarded, no purple hearts, no bronze stars.
If any of his stories are true, he needs to be providing some kind of official documentation. If he was awarded these awards from the Army, there would be archived copies of official orders not only in subjects record books, but also it would be at NPR. Admin errors can happen, but for 2 awards of 2 high awards (Bronze Stars are Division level awards, need approval by the Division Commander), not having been entered? Highly unlikely.
Information has come out that he told the Commandant of the Sacramento Detachment 023 that the Marines ordered him to pierce his ears while he was in Iraq because he was working ‘under cover’. This came about when confronted as to why he had ‘gauges’ (large rings in the ear lobes) in his ears while representing the Marine Corps and the Marine Corps League.
1-He was with C/184, California National Guard in Iraq, NOT the Marine Corps.
2-As an infantryman, with NG, he wouldn’t be doing ‘under cover’ work. Only certain members of high level Counter-Intelligence or Counter Terrorism teams go that deep. He has no record to back his claim.
3- Iraqi males don’t pierce their ears, so how would that help him in ‘under cover’.
4-Even if he was ordered to pierce his ears, once done with mission, they would no longer be allowed.
”
Auburn suicide-prevention program helping soldiers cope, heal; http://www.news10.net/news/local/article/203875/2/Suicide-prevention-program-helping-soldiers-cope-heal |
AUBURN, CA – While the nation struggles to reverse the growing trend of soldiers committing suicide, a Natomas veteran is crediting a local prevention program with saving his life.
| Ball cap displaying Recon Air Wings & scuba bubble |

